WEC Energy Group, a US-based energy company, has agreed to pay about $360 million for an 80 per cent stake in the Maple Flats Solar Energy Centre. Located in Clay County, Illinois, the 250 MW energy centre is being developed by renewable energy company Invenergy. The project, which would cover 1,500 acres of land, will include 800,000 solar panels, and it is anticipated to go into service in early 2024.

Under a long-term power purchase agreement, the solar installation will sell the clean energy it produces to an unnamed corporation. Completion of the deal is subject to it receiving all necessary regulatory approvals.

In March 2021, WEC Energy Group agreed to acquire a 90 per cent stake in the Jayhawk Wind Farm, Kansas, US, for $302 million. Invenergy would operate the wind farm in Bourbon and Crawford counties after acquiring the remaining 10 per cent stake.