Royal Dutch Shell has announced its plans to vastly expand its network of electric vehicle charging points in Britain. As part of its global rollout, it aims to install 50,000 on-street posts in Britain by 2025. Ubitricity, an on-street charging point company acquired by Shell in February, will implement the project. At present, Ubitricity operates approximately 3,600 chargers in Britain.

The scope of work under Shell’s ambit includes installing and maintaining the charge points as well as supplying their power, which will be sourced only from renewable energy.

Britain has set a target to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2050. The expansion is in line with this target and is part of a government-backed push to rapidly grow Britain’s electric vehicle fleet. The country also plans to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2030.

As per a government report published in July, Britain needs between 280,000 and 480,000 charging points by 2030 as compared to the present 25,000 charging spots. To support its charging point expansion, Shell will aid local authorities in financing its installation. Adding to the government’s offer to meet 75 per cent of the installation costs for the on-street chargers, Shell will support local councils to finance the remaining 25 per cent. The chargers are said to be compatible with standard European plugs and suitable for all new electric cars.

As part of its strategy to become a net-zero emissions company by mid-century, Shell has a target to grow its global network of electric vehicle charging points from over 60,000 points today to 500,000 in 2025.