The paper “Moving beyond the NDCs: ASEAN Pathways to a Net-Zero Emissions Power Sector in 2050″ has been authored by Kamia Handayani, Pinto Anugrah, Fadjar Goembira, Dr Indra Øverland, Beni Suryadi, and Dr Akbar Swandaru. This paper assesses power sector pathways to net-zero emissions by 2050 for the Association of Southeast Asia Nations (ASEAN) using the Low Emissions Analysis Platform (LEAP). In addition to simulating a net-zero emissions scenario, the paper builds reference and renewable policy scenarios, enabling an analysis of additional measures required beyond the business as usual and current policy trajectories to achieve net-zero emissions.
Key highlights of this research:
- The assessment of ASEAN power sector pathways to net-zero emissions by 2050.
- The NEMO optimisation framework of LEAP is used to integrate variable renewable energy.
- Timely utilisation of ASEAN’s vast renewable energy resources is a key to achieving net-zero.
- GHG emissions of the ASEAN power sector peak in 2029 and reach zero by 2050.
- The net-zero power sector scenario involves an abatement cost of 12 USD/ton CO2e.
Download the paper here