The 400MW Dumat Al Jandal project, Saudi Arabia’s first and largest wind farm, is now linked to the grid and producing electricity, according to developers EDF Renewables and Masdar. Vestas’ V150-4.0/4.2 wind turbines, each capable of generating 4.2MW to the grid, are used in the 400MW project.
The developers began construction in September 2019. EDF’s plan of doubling its net installed renewables capacity from 28GW to 60GW between 2015 and 2030 was compatible with the region’s expansion of renewable energy. Dumat Al Jandal will supply energy under a 20-year, $21.30/MWh power purchase agreement (PPA) with the Saudi Power Procurement Company, a subsidiary of Saudi Electricity Company.
According to a recent announcement, the Saudi Ministry of Energy has received proposals from financial services companies for two transaction advisory contracts on 10 PV solar projects that will be constructed under the Public Investment Funds (PIF) clean energy initiative.
The PIF programme is intended to cover 70 per cent of the kingdom’s 58.7 GW clean energy goals by 2030, with the other 30 per cent being delivered by REPDO. Projects under the REPDO programme will be granted through a competitive tendering procedure, whereas contracts under the PIF programme will be awarded through direct agreements with investors.