Apple has announced a carbon elimination initiative, called the Restore Fund. The fund aims to remove at least one million metric tons of carbon dioxide annually from the atmosphere.

This development is in line with Apple’s broader goal of being carbon neutral across its value chain by 2030. While the company intends to directly eliminate 75 per cent of its supply chain emissions and products by this date, the fund will help offset the remaining 25 per cent of the company’s emissions.

These efforts are in addition to other announcements from the company. A few weeks ago it announced that more than a hundred suppliers around the world will switch to using renewable energy as part of the 2020 commitment to be carbon neutral by 2030.